Edna Purviance's bio

June 6, 2018 - Re-editing Edna Purviance's family biography 2nd Draft. Photo: Leading Ladies © used by ednapurviance.org

Saturday, January 28, 2006

My Wikipedia Response about Edna

Last year I decided to sign up for Wikipedia, after being introduced to it and seeing Edna Purviance's home call 'Lovestock' on Edna's page. Actually, when I first visited Lovelock in the 1960's, stockyard is what came to mind, as the southern end of town was still used as an active cattle loading area near the railroad at the time.

I do thank the people who have been working on that site, especially a chap who signs himself as Madchester and for his nice welcome on Wikipedia last year.

This evening, after some work, I decided to take a look over there to see what has been happening lately. I had earlier tried getting her death date corrected from January 11th to January 13th, 1958, but correction was not in place. Then I noticed someone had recently entered the bit about Edna doing walk-on parts for the Chaplin films 'Limelight' and 'Monsieur Verdoux'.

Now I can understand these rumors have been around for many years and are posted on websites, articles and even have made their way into Chaplin books. But there never has been proof of this, and many people never quite believed in those scenes they were really her.

I will be explaining more about this in the book we are working on, but I will go on the record here that the conclusion from all our research is -- Edna was not in those films.

No comments: