If you happen to see City Lights last night, here are a few Edna related facts for you.
• Edna's brother-in-law, Sydney Hill, was invited by Charlie Chaplin to watch the filming of the fight scene in the film. He was actually in the crowd behind Chaplin's corner stool. The Hill family collection has a picture of Sydney from that scene.
• Edna's nephew, Morgan Hill (Sydney's son), was on the camera crew for the film.
• Edna's (nephew) Morgan, (brother-in-law) Sydney, and her sister Bessie Purviance Hill (Morgan's mother) were all at the premiere of City Lights.
• Lita Hill's mother, Helen, (Morgan's wife) was also at the premiere.
• Edna Purviance was invited, but didn't go to the premiere. According to Lita, Edna decided not to go, not wanting to cause any attention from the press.
Edna knew they would focus not only on her looks, but also bring up things from the past, she didn't want to read about in the papers (like the Dines event). She was enjoying her new found freedom as a private citizen, again, and avoided the press, whenever possible.