Edna Purviance's bio

June 6, 2018 - Re-editing Edna Purviance's family biography 2nd Draft. Photo: Leading Ladies © used by ednapurviance.org

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Chaplin Society


A pleasant memory from the past came in the form of an article about one of The Chaplin Society festival events in London.

The Chaplin Society was created by Stephen Burstin, Kevin Brownlow and David Robinson. It lasted between 1999 to 2002. The Society held festivals in London and even one in America. I joined The Chaplin Society in 2000 and went to my first and only Chaplin Society event in London the spring of 2001.

The Society also had a wonderful magazine called The Chaplin Courier. (Photo is first copy in fall 1999.) I am sure if you were a member you kept your copies. I luckily got all the copies released before they ran out of issues. It was like a bit of Christmas when the latest issue arrived. I would spend the evening reading every word and always enjoyed doing the puzzles.

Stephen was planning another Society event in Hollywood, which I was planning to attend, but the event didn't materialize. The Society ended in the summer of 2002. I always thought Stephen did a great job, along with his family, and they greeted us (everyone) warmly at the London events.

Reading the article reminded me I was still placing together my little website about Edna Purviance in the fall of 2001. At the time, it was not ednapurviance.org and not even launched yet. Link to the original site. I sent a private link to an enthusiastic Chaplin fan and the response I received back energized me a great deal, and by November 2001 ednapurviance.org was born. And, well...

No comments: