Besides welcome rain in southern California, here is the latest report about Grand View.
See December 20th update below.
December 18th, 2007
From the Glendale News: Grand View officials seek court action to change city order requiring the site to cease maintenance.
"The attorney representing Grand View Memorial Park stakeholders will ask a judge today to modify a city order that has prohibited maintenance and clean-up work, officials said.
The cemetery, which is embroiled in a series of lawsuits stemming from October 2005 when state inspectors found the remains of about 4,000 people that were never buried or properly disposed of there, has been closed to public visits since June as part of an evidence preservation order.
The city attorney’s office filed a public nuisance abatement action in September against cemetery operator Moshe Goldsman and the estate of former cemetery owner Marsha Lee Howard, who died in November 2006, ordering the defendants to bring the cemetery and its grove of brittle, flammable trees up to safety standards in order to reestablish a limited public visitation schedule.
If the cemetery does the necessary work, the city will drop the nuisance abatement complaint, City Atty. Scott Howard said."
"Paul Ayers, the attorney representing family members suing Grand View and its owners, welcomed Goldsman’s apparent steps toward cleaning up the cemetery.
“I’ve been able to bury and disinter about 30 people so far, and I’ve got that process pretty well down now,” said Ayers, who has secured a series of court orders to allow proper burials and disinterments.
“The biggest problem has been access, and it appears that this is a step in that direction, which is very welcome to my clients.” - Glendale News
Full story at this LINK to Glendale News. It is only available for free, 14 days from December 18th, 2007.
December 20th, 2007
UPDATE: Work set to start on Grand View. Judge allows owner to begin correcting code violations on cemetery land by modifying order.
LOS ANGELES — Work needed to abate fire and safety hazards at Grand View Memorial Park could start as early as today after a judge on Wednesday modified an evidence preservation order that had prohibited the property owner from doing the maintenance.
David Baum, the attorney representing cemetery operator Moshe Goldsman in a series of lawsuits filed against Grand View, said modification of the order was needed to allow the cemetery to rectify a string of city code violations related to hundreds of overgrown or dead trees on the property.
In court documents submitted Tuesday, Baum included a contractor’s estimate for tree removal and trimming, plus installation of an aboveground irrigation system and landscape clean-up work for $105,400.
“Our contractor is anxious to begin immediately because he’s set aside this time to do the work,” Baum said. “He’s even ready to start, like, tomorrow.” - Glendale News
Full story at this LINK to Glendale News. It is only available for free, 14 days from December 20th, 2007.